Monday, October 22, 2007

Annyong Haseyo

I've worked for foreign-owned companies since I finished college thirty years ago. The first two were British (ICI, the DuPont of the UK, and Tensar/Netlon, not quite as large). Communication wasn't too bad within those companies, as the languages of each country are similar (there are a lot of differences, though!).
I've worked for a Korean company, SKC, for the past nine years. SK Group is the third largest conglomerate in South Korea. I've been over there twice (great country to visit, but the plane ride is way, way, way too long). Communication is not as easy, though. My Korean coworkers have made great strides in learning our language, but I can't say that we (lazy) Americans have made much of an effort to learn their language. I can sound out most of their alphabet/letters, but I really have mastered only three phrases. Annyong haseyo (hello, good afternoon, etc.) and kamsa hamnida (thank you). The third was an easy one: mekchu (served cold, in a tall glass, with a head on it!). So much for Korean, as a second language.

No comments: