Saturday, January 19, 2008

Cheap Brew


I don't really drink beer anymore, but I did enjoy a Stella Artois (Belgian brew) a couple weeks ago.
Anyway, we got into a conversation at work last week, when I was covering a product test one night (the guys on graveyard shift will do anything to stay awake!). The topic was cheap beer (not necessarily bad beer, but ...).
I was raised about a mile from the old Pabst brewery in Newark NJ (the building along the Garden State Parkway, with the 'big bottle' on the roof; the plant was recently leveled) . A friend's uncle worked at the Pabst plant, so the fridge in the basement was always full of PBR. I'll leave the rest to your imagination. (Also had an uncle who worked at the A-B plant near Newark airport).
Any way, cheap beer. Several brands were mentioned, including Carling Black Label, Schaefer, Schmidt's (not Schlitz), Rolling Rock, Weideman's, Little Kings, Red-White&Blue (a cheap brand from PBR, believe it or not), Ballantine, Piel's, Colt 45 malt, Iron City (the worst!), and a few others. Stroh's seemed to be a popular brew with the locals, when I lived in Richmond. I could add any Bud brand, but I'd get into a few arguments, there. Everyone had a good laugh (and some bad memories).
I now like to sip a little wine now and then. Cabs, Merlot, Reisling, etc. Perhaps memories of cheap wines may be a topic for another blog! Or maybe not!

No comments: