Saturday, November 29, 2008

Where Are You?


I loved Geography class when I was a young lad at St. Leo's elementary school. I didn't travel outside of the state of New Jersey until I was a teenager, so reading about the rest of the country, and the world, fascinated me. Even today, I look forward to reading my National Geographic magazine each month (I've got every hardcopy since 1977, and the CD going back 115 years!). At this point you're probably saying: "Gee, get a life!". Oh, well.
Anyway, another quirk is that I wait for the postlady to bring my copy of Conde Nast Traveler magazine each month. The travel articles are great, but the highlight is their "Where Are You?" contest. You get several paragraphs of very vague clues, along with a picture of a site somewhere in the world. At that point, you then have to get very creative with your Googling skills. There is a monthly prize for one correct entrant, but the annual grand prize is the kicker. The winner gets an expense paid trip for two to one of the destinations from the previous year's contests. Destinations so far in Y2008 include Egypt, Madagascar, France, Austria, China, Finland, Chile, Shanghai, Finland, Reunion Island, and Spain (which I hope is November's answer!). I've been entering the contest since 1996, so maybe my time is coming! About 6,000 entries are received each month, so the odds aren't too outragious.

Pictured here (photo courtesy Conde Nast Traveler, used without permission) is the December 2008 destination. Can you guess "Where Are You?" ?

No comments: